Monday, April 30, 2012

Reading and Science and EXCITEMENT!!!

"Aunt Sharon, there is a Chrysalis in my container!!!"

We have had several busy weeks lately. I am so thankful for books! God was so kind to give us books and the ability to read them.  Ivy is still doing great with her reading. Ivy read Good Morning Gorilla…a Magic Tree House book to me. We loved learning about Gorillas and the rainforest. We wrote stories about the rainforest, looked at pictures of Brent and I in a rainforest in Hawaii, talked about the importance of rainforest, etc. We also checked out several books about gorillas, looked them up on the internet and colored pictures of them.
Ivy is now reading Revolutionary War on Wednesday another Magic Tree House book. We have talked about Britain, the red Coats, why we have war and much more.
A month ago, Ivy, Hayley and I took a morning walk looking for caterpillars. We looked everywhere for two hours and couldn’t find one. We looked on leaves, under rocks, near our house, on the porch, everywhere. We even went to the rec center and looked for caterpillars and couldn’t find one. The next day, Ivy was out playing and found one. We put it into a container. Then we went to the library and checked out tons of books on caterpillars and butterflies.  Ivy found another caterpillar on our back porch. She has found several every day since our caterpillar walk.:) Several of the caterpillars have ended up in Ivy’s container. We even lost a caterpillar in our house for two days. Then, he appeared on our kitchen counter.  Ivy named him Mickey.  I was sure that they would all die but we looked in the container today and…oh we were SO EXCITED…there was a Chrysalis. I couldn’t believe it! I really still can’t believe it! Ivy was so excited! She called Sharon as fast as she could! Thankfully, I had my camera and was able to capture her smile and excitement!  I think I am starting to like Science!!!!

No comments: